12/13/2004

Ramblings

Soo, I've been sitting on this blog for awhile, because I had some very serious work to do with the site, which is now mostly done. I still need to redo the segmentata page completely. I'm not exactly sure what is going to be next on the agenda there, other than I'm going to make some more shoes to finetune the calcei directions, and try to pinpoint any real trouble areas. One I've just nailed is the leather weight- use 4-5, not 5-6. Another section of that will eventually be a lasted shoe section- eventually.

I really want to make a contuburnium tent, which I plan to do of fabric, not leather. The canvas I'll use is colored a tan/buff color, which I think I can paint over a bit more, and from a few feet will be indistinguishable from leather. I plan to cut the fabric into the appropriate sized squares/rectangles, and sew them all together to help generate the leather illusion. The main thing a practiced eye will notice is the line of stitching along side each seam. You can't tunnel stitch fabric and I have no intention of hand sewing this thing. Fool I may be, masochist I am not. Hopefully this will be blended somewhat by the paint job.
Things I need: a plan/pattern-which I'm working on, an industrial walking foot machine, the fabric-which will be ordered from panther primitives, thread, leather for the tie tabs and such-which I have, a lot of patience-which, hmmm, that might take some searching, then of course I'll need wood for the center poles, maybe wood stakes, and I have to decide if I'm going to do a peak pole and eave poles. Probably not, less wood, less to carry.
I still need to decide whether to go with the 9x9 foot plan, or the 10x10 foot plan. Is 9'square equal to 10R' square? R being Roman. 10rxAF9~hypotenuse%3.5=circumference? no that's not it...

4 Comments:

Blogger arturius said...

Jared--Think of using leather. LXF in American Canyon in the California bay ara just made one, and our Centurio can give you a lot of info, etc. Google our web site for info on how to get hold of Centurio Marcus.

February 28, 2005 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger M.Petronius said...

Leather or Canvas. There are good and bad points for each. Cost/Time are a factors that can be wieghed againt flammability (canvas), authenticity, mildew, weight (leather), et cetera. Just so you know large MASH style canvas tents can be engulfed in flames in about 15 seconds without fire retardant but canvas is the cheapest (and you can post a sign to let folks know that Romans would generally have used leather).
M.Petronius
14th Gemina (Wisconsin)
r_saulpaugh at yahoo

March 6, 2005 at 7:41 PM  
Blogger M.Petronius said...

Oh, by the way. I saw a very large sewing machine last weekend in a specialty fabric shop that had a 12 x 12 foot table for quilts. I guess it would be good for canvas too.

March 6, 2005 at 7:57 PM  
Blogger M.Petronius said...

You're probably already in posession of this - a generally accepted standard for the Roman foot is 11.65 US inches. There were variations however such as the Pes Drusianus of 13.1 US inches used in the early empire in Gaul and Germany.

March 6, 2005 at 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home